Dragonfly Pond’s mission statement is to support families with children 0-18 years of age who have complex care needs and/or disabilities and who live in the South Okanagan and Similkameen region.
Dragonfly Pond Family Society (DFP) is a collaboration of parents, professionals and community partners.
Input and ongoing participation by families, caregivers and professionals in the communities ensures that DFP’s programs are designed to reflect the needs of our members.
DFP’s mandate is to design and to provide services for families with children 0-18 years of age who have complex care needs and/or disabilities and who live in the South Okanagan/Similkameen Region. This region includes: Summerland, Naramata, Penticton, OK Falls, Oliver, Osoyoos, Princeton, Keremeos, Hedley and the Similkameen
It has been determined that children with complex care needs and/or disabilities and their families in the South Okanagan need support in a variety of ways. In response to these needs, the goals of Dragonfly Pond Family Respite are to provide coordinated services that will:
- Enhance existing programs by coordinating services and programs in a way that creates links and partnerships that will support the promotion of healthy families and strengthen support services for families.
- Reduce isolation, burn out and crisis within families by providing a range of support services.
- Provide community-based programs within each geographic centre to strengthen support at the community level.
- Increase community awareness and involvement through volunteerism, in-kind contributions and financial support.
- Reduce the need for more costly care and services through a preventative focus.
DragonFly Pond Family Society was initiated in January 2000 by a small group of parents/health care workers, and child development specialists. The group started discussing & accessing the range of support services available to families who have children with complex care needs. The findings of consultants, surveys and professionals saw a need for enhanced and expanded services in our community.
In 2001, DFP became an incorporated non-profit society with a registered charitable status. Registered Charitable # 877947812RROOO1